You all know how much I love the dollar store and this year I saw a cute idea for making knit hats as ornaments, but I thought it would be even cuter if you combined it with a snowman head! I was disappointed when I went this weekend and saw there was no more foam balls, but then I realized that I could actually get the ornaments in a larger quantity and do the same thing! – a total bonus! These are so cute and easy, they’ll have you running straight to the dollar store right away!
- Small plastic ornaments from the dollar store (or foam balls of equivalent size)
- Snow-Tex to make it look like real snow
- Diamond Dust for sparkle
- Toilet paper tubes
- Small bells
- Air drying clay
- Black acrylic paint
- Pink acrylic paint
- Orange acrylic paint
- Hot glue and gun
- Ornament hooks
- Start off by covering a generous layer of Snow-Tex to cover the whole ornament.
- Prop on toilet paper tube to dry.
- Cut off the end of a toilet paper tube to the desired width for the rim of your knit cap.
- Cut a lot of yarn at least 10 inches long.
- Now we simply make a loop and we put it in our little circle, completing this all the way around.
- After you have finished the ring, pull all the ends through the tube and tie it off with a bell on a piece of yarn.
- Cut off the extra length to create the pom-pom on top.
- Once the Snow-Tex is dry, sculpt a carrot by rolling out a cone shape from the air drying clay and rub onto the head.
- Use a clay too or side of a tooth pick to make indentions to make it look like a carrot.
- Hot glue the hat to the head.
- Once dried, paint the eyes and mouth with black paint. Add the rosey cheek color in a pink circle and paint the carrot orange.
- Add an ornament hook and done!
Super cute and easy! These are a great dollar store make over to wow your friends and family with a nice ornament for a Christmas present, you can even use it on the outside of present to compliment your wrapping job! Merry Christmas everyone!