I have literally almost a dozen of the these candlesticks and battery operated candles that I purchased for other projects. These cute candlestick holders boast two black cats with the number 31 embedded in their tails!
I hope that you like these simple, yet easy to make, Halloween Dollar Store makeover. Happy Halloween!
- Candlestick Holder, 2
- Battery Operated Candles, 2
- Orange Acrylic Paint
- Yellow Acrylic Paint
- White Acrylic Paint
- Black Acrylic Paint
- Clear Acrylic Spray
- Blow Dryer
- Fine Tip Artists Brushes
- Mix a little white paint with your yellow so that the color is almost creamy looking and paint on the first layer slightly over lapping the next layer to be painted. Paint 3 more coats, allow to dry between coats of paint (use a blow dryer to speed up this process).
- Mix a little bit of white paint with some orange and apply to the next section of the candle holder. Repeat 3 more coats. Don’t worry about it being perfect, you will go back over it after the next layer for final touch ups.
- Paint the rest of the candlestick holders in white, adding 3-4 layers.
- After the white layer is dry, go back and touch up the other layers making the edges straight.
- Once the touch ups are dry, use your black paint to add your cats. I used my paint brush to draw the first cat with a tail shaped like a 3 and then I added a hump for the back, butt, and legs. I then extended the torso and added the head. If you mess up don’t worry, you can dry the paint and fix mistakes with white paint. I actually had to contour the body with white paint to get the right silhouette.
- Paint the next cat making their tail long and 1 shaped. I made this one look like it was laying down in a half pounce position.
- Add small yellow dots for eyes on each cat.
- In small black lettering, paint the word “trick” on the 3 cat candlestick holder and on the base the word “or”.
- In small black lettering paint the word “treat”.
- Use the black paint to add ghost eyes and mouths.
- Spray with clear acrylic finish and allow to dry overnight.
With Halloween coming next month it’s got me thinking about all these cute projects that I have been dying to try out. Happy Halloween and remember it’s all for the love of craft! Like what you see, but not interested in making it – check out my store She’s One Crafty Mom Shop on Etsy to pick these cuties!