I made this as a decoration for my son’s 2nd birthday party which was of course a Toy Story theme, but this would also make a great smash piñata too. Since it has gotten a lot of repins on Pinterest I thought it was time to give instructions on making it since I hate it when I stumble upon add great pin with no instructions.
- Masking tape
- Acrylic Paint- white
- Acrylic Paint- red
- Acrylic Paint- black
- Glue Gun and glue sticks
- Glue stick
- Plastic lid (mine was from an apple sauce container)
- Air Drying Clay
- Clear acrylic spray
- Blow up your balloon as big as possible (do not overinflate or it will pop during the crafting, mine did twice 😯) and tie the end.
- Paper mache the balloon with a couple of layers allowing it to dry between each, do not make it too thick yet.
- Make a cardboard tube for the end securing it to the end with the masking tape once the paper mache has dried completely (about 24 hours later depending on the humidity in your state).
- Extend the masking tape down all the sides as seen in the picture and them cover with more paper mache. This would probably work well if you replace the masking tape either cardboard cut into thin strips and hot glued on for a flatter finish. Allow to dry completely again.
- Cut four equal rocket fins as best as you can and hot glue to the end leaving fins. They will have a gap in areas between the body and fins, don’t worry about it you can fill it in with air drying clay.
- Paint the body white and the rocket fins red.
- Print out the Pizza Planet image from here for both sides of the rocket and using the glue stick glue onto the sides.
- Paint the plastic lid black and once dried hot glue to the end of the rocket.
- Finish with a light coating of clear acrylic spray to add a glossy finish.
- Cut holes in both ends and run fishing line through the ends and tie off to make a hook to hang your decoration or piñata.
Paper Mache Paste:
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
To make the glue, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Then mix all the dry ingredients together. Add the cold water to the dry ingredients to make a runny paste. Whisk the runny paste into the boiling water and stir constantly until you get the first bubbles of boiling. Immediately remove from the heat and set aside to cool – about 15 minutes.
If you are using this as a piñata I would cut a hole in the end before gluing the lid on and fill it with the candy/toys and then glue on the lid.
Easy and way too funny! Remember it’s all for the love of craft!